Sunday, March 3, 2013

Revisions in Whole30

I am suddenly remembering why I didn't think tomatoes were OK. I looked in my book and read about the thyroid. I don't know if I have Hashimoto's Disease or hypothyroidism.. whatever it is, I have low thyroid levels; but it is an autoimmune disease and I am wanting to get better, like last year, so I am revising my diet and making it even more strict. In Whole30, they call it the AIP: Autoimmune Protocol. This will include eliminating these foods from my diet:
  • Eggs--whole eggs and white eggs. Which, is not a problem at all for me. I loathe eggs; and I don't even do baked goods. (Ok, those almond pancakes were for a couple of days, but I'm done w/ "straying" from the diet.)
  • Nightshades--ah, what are those things? "Nightshades are a group of plants that contain compounds that promote gut irritability, inflammation, and joint pain or/and stiffness in sensitivie individuals." (ISWF, 237)  They recommend you avoid nightshades for at least 90 days to evaluate sensitivity.
    • white potatoes
    • tomatoes
    • sweet and hot peppers
    • eggplant
    • tomatillos
    • tamarios
    • pepinos
    • spices like cayenne, chili powder, curry powder, paprika, pepper sauce, pimento, crushed red pepper flakes
  • Dairy--including heavy cream, clarified butter, and ghee--oh, gee! Not my ghee! I loved my ghee! Dairy should be avoided indefinitely.
  • Nuts and seeds--ah, nuts! My macadamia nuts and almonds! My boys love snacking on these, so I will have to not be tempted to eat them.
  • NSAIDs--Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin, ibuprofen, (Advil, Motrin), naproxen (Aleve), and Celebrex. These disrupt the lining of the gut, "leading to intestinal permeability, a contributing factor in autoimmune disase." (ISWF, 237) Tylenol would be the better choice, but I'm using oils so I don't think this will be an issue for me.
And, I need to buy a metal water bottle to drink and sip my water from. The formula I am using for how much water I should drink goes as follows:
{Body weight / 2 = Ounces of Water}

I know I need more sleep than I get at night. I wonder how this sleep test will go. It's not for another couple of weeks, but it will be interesting to see if they find anything. In the meantime, I'm going to find the right oil or oil blends for me to help me get to sleep. I go to bed between 10:30pm-11pm, but I'm not asleep until at least 1am. 

No comments: